Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Fireworks Milk, the Egg Drop Experiment, and the Power of Moms




I don't know how many times I have seen the fireworks milk experiment on the internet or in science books or on Pinterest and I told myself that I was going to do that sometime. But, of course, I never got around to it. I finally tried it today and it was is so easy and fascinating that I am kicking myself for not trying it sooner. We were finishing up our unit on mammals and starting our unit on reptiles. I wanted some experiments that had to do with understanding their differences.

The milk experiment was to illustrate the point that all mammals depend on their mothers and on mother's milk. After they are born they need their mothers in order to survive.


Find the instructions for this experiment at the link below.

Fireworks Milk

On the other hand, reptiles are independent from the moment they hatch from their eggs and can survive on their own.


Notice how we practiced with a plastic egg first before trying the real thing!



The egg drop experiment was a fun way to illustrate the reptile point of view. They kick the support system out of the way early on (the pie plate and cardboard tube) and launch into the water on their own.




Egg Drop Experiment



Even if you aren't learning about reptiles or mammals in your house, try these two easy experiments out today! I am sure you already have the supplies on hand. As you learn and explore together you can emphasize how important MOMS are to mammals, including human children! (It never hurts to put in a plug for the moms in the world. We are an amazing species!) You can mention how life really wouldn't go on without MOMS. I for one am so grateful that God made us the way that he did. I am so glad that we get to depend on our families. I wouldn't have it any other way!



Thanks Steve Spangler for these great experiments! I LOVE their website.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips