Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Teen Activities: When to Introduce Make-Up

By Deborah Pace Rowley

When do you let your daughter wear make-up? This is a big concern for many moms I know. When is too soon? When is too late? We don't want to let her grow up too fast but we also don't want to be the old-fashioned and mean mother on the block. I certainly don't have the perfect answer to this question. I will have to leave it up to you to figure that out on your own. I can share one thing that we did with one of my daughters that turned out really fun. 
The rule in our family is that girls can wear make-up as soon as they turn 14. (A light lip gloss is okay before that.) On my daughters' 14th birthday we planned a fun "spa" night for her and all of her friends. Before the party started, I had decorated a cake with an outline of a girl's face. Then I provided lots of tubes of frosting and decorating gel so the girls could finish the cake by applying "make-up" to our beauty queen.
After the cake was complete, the birthday girl and her friends sat down with Aunt Tiff who was a Mary Kay consultant at the time. She had them wash their faces and taught them how to care for their skin. She then taught them how to apply a subtle, fresh and light layer of make-up that would bring out the natural beauty in each girl. After the make-up class, the girls painted each other's nails and experimented with each other's hair. When the party ended I sent each girl home with her own make-up bag filled with samples of the products they had tried. *I had approved this with all the girl's moms beforehand.

The party was fun and the instruction was great. I never had to complain that this daughter looked like a  clown when she came out of the bathroom in the morning. Now that my girls are almost grown up, it seems like I am always going to them to borrow products and learn techniques to help me look my best! Good luck in navigating this fun and exciting time in your daughter's life.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips