Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Preschool Activities: Floor Shape Songs


By Tiffany Rudd

I can’t believe I am about to post a video of me singing. I am not a singer. So, so not a singer. Like pretty much tone deaf. But this is a fun activity and has always been a favorite in my preschool classroom, so hopefully you find it worth having to listen to me sing. :) 
Also, I can’t remember what song the tune I use for this activity comes from. If you know, will you please leave a comment and let me know. It’s driving me crazy.
Anyway, here are instructions for this fun and easy shape activity. The repetition is great for kids who are just learning the names of the shapes.
1. Use masking tape or painters tape to outline the different shapes on the floor. These can be as big or small as you want depending on the amount of space you have. Just make sure they are big enough for your child to step in and out of. I didn't do and oval or a rhombus (kite shape) this time, but I usually do. Those are tricky ones for kids to remember. 
2. Sing the song below substituting in different shapes and action words each time you sing.
(Action Word) in and out of the (Shape),
(Action Word) in and out of the (Shape),
(Action Word) in and out of the (Shape),
Like I know that you can do!
Here are some of the many ideas you can use in the (Action Word) space: Go, walk, march, dance, hope, jump, skip, tip-toe, twirl, stomp, run, waddle, gallop, shimmy. Or, have your kids come up with some ideas on their own! 
Watch this video to hear the tune I use with this song. Isn't my little dancer the cutest thing you've ever seen? Note: I recommend turning down the volume on your computer before pushing play. Believe me, you don’t want to hear this at full blast! :)
3. Repeat, repeat, repeat! Your child will have the names of the shapes down in no time. 

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. The tune is "the bear went over the mountain" :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or "For he's a jolly good fellow"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many have argued children's songs have hidden meanings and origins. John Bellenden Kerr, for example, he wrote four volumes on the grounds that rhymes nursery English was written already in the 'Low Saxon, "an early form virtual Dutch. Then' translate 'them back into English, revealing in particular a strong tendency to fight clergy . many of the ideas about the links between rhymes and persons historical, or events, and can be traced back to the book of Catherine Elwes and personalities riyals from mother Goose, which were linked to the characters nursery - rhyme with famous real people, on the evidence of low or non-existent. assumed that children's songs were strange form of historical narrative is encrypted and secret propaganda or protest, and rarely is it could have been written just for entertainment.


    toddler to preschool activitiestes

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips